Thursday, December 12, 2013

Golden Globe 2014 Nominations

English: Stylized silhouette of the Golden Glo... English: Stylized silhouette of the Golden Globe award, for use as an icon. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


This morning the Golden Globe 2014 Nominations were announced. It is not a surprise to see 12 Years a Slave, Captain Philips and Gravity among the top nominees for the 2014 Golden Globe Awards.


I have seen all three movies, and interestingly enough I was reluctant to do so, but was convinced by my wife to go. I saw captain Philips first, thinking it was going to be a boring recount of the hijacking of some ship. Was I surprised when after a slow introduction the rest of the movie was so intense I had my fists clenched for a good part of the time. Without spoiling the end for those of you who haven’t seen the movie yet, the end will take your feelings and emotions for a loop. Tom Hanks is great in the whole movie, and so is his captor Barkhad Abdi, both nominated for a Golden Globe.  I would definitely go and see this movie soon, in the theater on a big screen. It won’t have the same effect on you watching it from the comfort of your home.


Talking about watching a movie on the big screen…a must see in a movie theater is Gravity with Sandra Bullock (Best Actress nomination) and George Clooney. Make sure though you see this movie in 3D on a regular screen or in IMAX to get the full effect of being in space. You’ll be on the edge of your seat the whole ride. Afterwards I had to look up how this movie was made, I was so intrigued how they pulled of such great imagery. Now, knowing how they did it, I am not surprised at all that the movie is nominated for a Golden Globe. I won’t spoil it by explaining to you how they created the crazy intense space scenes here but follow the link below to find out for yourself, but only once you have watched the movie. the only part of the movie that looked a  little fake to me was near the end, but judge for yourself.


The final film of the Golden Globe nominated movies I saw was 12 Years a Slave. Like some of the Holocaust movies this is a “must see” for anyone, to get a glimpse (I believe no person who hasn’t been in a slave’s shoes will ever get more than a glimpse) of what slavery was all about. Be prepared though, the scenes are so real that you will be taken aback and disgusted at what you will see. But it drills home the message…”never again”, no matter what color of your skin, what background, what country or culture, what sexual preference, any human being has the right to live in freedom! Chiwetel Ejiofor got a Best Actor nod,  and Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong’o got nominated for Supporting Actor and Actress.


If you can, go and watch it on the big screen, but if you can’t, I’m sure even in the comfort of your own home you’ll be moved to no end about a very dark chapter in history.


For a full list of nominees click here to the CBS News site


Click here to find out more about how the movie Gravity was made.



 




Golden Globe 2014 Nominations

No comments:

Post a Comment

Infolinks In Text Ads